Monday, February 8, 2010

My Song: Ven Sida

Did you hear the news?
My friend called from home.
Then another friend called last week:
Did you hear he died?
I used
To get him boys
He
Used to lend me books
I used
To fix him up
He
Used to teach me things

When he insisted in discretion
I recommended pleasure
When he was unsure
I told him my ways

Ay Arturo Corazon de Andullo

In the life we now live
Death is thrown upon us
Like a printout of shame
Like a long term shift
As a generous gift
As a warm covering quilt

Ay Arturo Ciguapa al viento

When you had shingles
I grew suspicious
When you lost so much weight
I speculated and cried
When you lost your vision
I heard your voice became softer

Your ways were always delicate
Until you lost your son
I chose to find my path
And never touched your life again

You went to Quebec
I came to New York
Your daughter married
I never had a daughter
But I had your light for a while
Enough
To illuminate my transition
And you declared my salvation
In your own unique manner:
Stop the drama!

Ay Arturo patricio de la medianoche
Heroe de la Feria
Martir del Lido

When you opened the doors of the box
None of your butterflies flew
For you had hidden them too long
And they were afraid to go

Why did you conceal your scar?
Why did you dry so soon?
Why didn’t you tell me?
Why?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing words.......... you felt my heart, Thats how I feel about my good friend who I lost over a year ago.............No butterflies flew out..............:"(